Written by: Christopher Sernaque
Have you ever heard the expression that Christ will “come as a thief?” Now, we both know that Christ is not planning the heist of the century, that would be breaking the 8th Commandment after all, but the Bible teaches, in a few different instances, that Christ will come as a thief. What does that expression mean, and how does it have to do with our day to day lives? Below is a seven-point study that explains this familiar, yet often misunderstood, expression. This study will be especially helpful if you are already familiar with a few different Bible subjects, like the Second Advent of Jesus and the phases of the Judgment. At the end of this article is a resource that will invigorate your mind and explain both of those subjects and more. Now, we begin:
1. While this verse is a reference to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, it is also a reference to Jesus Christ coming to our names in the Investigative Judgment.
2. 2 Peter 3:11-12 clearly connects sanctification, or victory over sin, as preceding the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
3. Therefore, some aspect takes place before the Second Coming of Christ. Revelation 22:12 makes this plain, if His reward is with Him, then He must have already come to the records.
4. The Investigative Judgment is about the cleaning of the Sanctuary or the blotting out of sin in our lives. (Daniel 8:14, Leviticus 16:7:22)
5. Blotting out of sin, or victory over sin, proceeds the Second Coming. This is the work that we must be engaged in now. (Acts 3:19-20)
6. Being that we do not know the time in which Jesus will come to our names in the Investigative Judgment, we must be ready always by His grace. (Luke 12:40)
7. In conclusion, Matthew 24:42-44 is teaching that we must be ready for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ and be ready always because we do not know when Jesus will come to our names in the Investigative Judgment.
These seven points are concise and are especially useful to those who have already studied these subjects, although they do provide a nice framework of end time events. I would like to offer a resource, entitled, the Great Controversy, which outlines the same vital Scripture topics.